Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I just talked to my mom who wanted the know the recipe for the super awesome patriotic jello pictured below. So I will post it for her, and also for anyone else who wants it. She now knows about my blog (although I thought I told her about it before), so I guess I can't talk about her anymore. JUST KIDDING, MOM! I never talked about you. But welcome to the Wet Donkey. :)

Red, White, and Blue Salad

1 pkg (3 oz) berry blue gelatin
2 cups boiling water, divided
2 1/2 cups cold water, divided
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 cup whipping cream
6 tablespoons sugar
2 cups (16 oz) sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pkg (3 oz) raspberry gelatin
1 cup fresh raspberries
Whipped topping and additional berries (for garnish)

In a bowl, dissolve berry blue gelatin in 1 cup boiling water; stir in 1 cup cold water. Add blueberries. Pour into a 3 qt. serving bowl (trifle dish). Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, sprinkle unflavored gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Add the cream and sugar; cook and stir over low heat until gelatin and sugar are completely dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Whisk in sour cream and vanilla. Spoon over the blue layer. Refrigerate until firm.

In a bowl, dissolve raspberry gelatin in remaining hot water (1 cup); stir in remaining cold water (1 cup). Add raspberries. Spoon over cream layer. Chill until set. Garnish with whipped topping and additional berries.

Yield: 14-16 servings

There you have it. I used frozen berries, mostly b/c I couldn't find good fresh raspberries at Wal-Mart and mostly b/c the blueberries I did find were just too expensive.

So I made it through my solo tonight. It was painful, but oh well. I fit into my dress (barely), so at least that was a success. It was a really good night. Good speakers (shout out to Whitney!), good decorations, the girl that planned it did a really good job.

Not much else going on. Oh, turned on the air conditioning today. Allergies are MUCH better because of it. I have been waking up in the middle of the night b/c I can't breathe. My nostrils are completely blocked. I'm sure I've picked my nose in my sleep more often than I remember. Ew. Sorry for the visual.

1 comment:

josieposie said...

http://www.oprah.com/health/oz/oz_20070426_350_105.jhtml

http://www.oprah.com/health/oz/oz_20070426_350_106.jhtml

http://www.oprah.com/health/oz/oz_20070521_350_112.jhtml

Watch the segments in order (if you haven't seen them already)