Monday, June 18, 2007

It's raining, it's pouring, it's scrambling my satellite tv which makes things really boring

We're in the middle of crazy storm, lightning and everything. I love it. Yes, all the channels were out, so it was a good time to catch up on some randmom shows on the TiVo.

Derrick left this morning. Suuuper early. If I were a good wife I'd get up with him and help him get ready and make him breakfast. But I'm not, and I slept, and rolled over and kissed him goodbye before he left. Sorry, Derrick. Maybe next time.

Work was less than exciting. Midday I decided to schedule a haircut. So I got it cut after work, and she didn't dry it fully, just diffused it, and when I went outside IN THE RAIN it frizzed up instantaneously. So I still as of this moment have no idea how it really looks. Guess we'll see tomorrow.

I made an amazingly delicious angel food cake yesterday. Betcha can't guess whose recipe I used. Of course, Alton. It's sooooooo much better than boxed, seriously. You gotta try it.





Angel Food Cake

1 3/4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cake flour, sifted
12 egg whites (the closer to room temperature the better)
1/3 cup warm water
1 teaspoon orange extract, or extract of your choice
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a food processor spin sugar about 2 minutes until it is superfine. Sift half of the sugar with the salt the cake flour, setting the remaining sugar aside.
In a large bowl, use a balloon whisk to thoroughly combine egg whites, water, orange extract, and cream of tartar. After 2 minutes, switch to a hand mixer. Slowly sift the reserved sugar, beating continuously at medium speed. Once you have achieved medium peaks, sift enough of the flour mixture in to dust the top of the foam. Using a spatula fold in gently. Continue until all of the flour mixture is incorporated.
Carefully spoon mixture into an ungreased tube pan. Bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness with a wooden skewer. (When inserted halfway between the inner and outer wall, the skewer should come out dry).
Cool upside down on cooling rack for at least an hour before removing from pan.
Cook's Note: Since they're easier to separate use the freshest eggs you can get.

Yummy yum yum!

5 comments:

josieposie said...

You decided to schedule a headache...

amy said...

you scheduled a 'headache' at midday. and then you 'cut' your head after work? i'm so confused. you'll have to tell me what it looks like tomorrow because i don't think i want to see it in person.

Unknown said...

Haha. I had no idea what you guys were talking about. All fixed now. Yikes. The only time I schedule headaches are at night...you know what I mean....haha.

Silvs said...

Who is this Alton person? I must have more recipes!

Unknown said...

HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW WHO ALTON IS??? This borders on us almost not being blogging friends anymore. But, since I like you so much, and since my goal is to spread Alton love all around, I'll give you another chance.

Food Network. "Good Eats." Best cooking show on TV. Also the host of Iron Chef America.

And don't you worry, more recipes to come.