Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My trip to the ER

Yesterday at work my belly wasn't feeling so hot. I had this weird cramp on my lower left side that radiated up to underneath my ribcage. It hurt to walk, to sit, to stand, to do anything. So I walked everywhere verrrry slowly. By the middle of the day it had migrated to my lower abdomen, and felt like I was being constantly stabbed in the stomach. I kind of started to freak out and my co-workers insisted I call my doctor and see what she said. Well, it was close to closing hours for them so they told me to go to the ER to get evaluated. Great. Now I'm totally freaked out and bawling my eyes out on the drive home. I'd felt the baby move almost the whole day so I was comforted a little by that, but I still had no idea what was wrong. Some people suggested round ligament pain, but I didn't think it was that since it was so strong, and not on the sides. I thought it might be a UTI, since all I seem to do these days is pee, and sometimes I feel like I have to go SO BAD but I barely go at all.

So, Derrick comes home and picks me up and we get to the ER at 5:30pm. They slap a bracelet on me and stick us in a room. And we wait. I pee in a cup. They steal some blood and leave me with a capped IV. Everything comes back normal. They do an ultrasound, with the World's Meanest Radiology Tech, who tells me "NO, I will not tell you what sex your baby is, and NO we don't print out pictures here." I didn't even ask you for a picture, lady, so back off. Ultrasound comes back normal (which is a huge relief). They tell me it's round ligament pain. Are you kidding me???? I mean, I have had some ligament pains thus far but they were never this bad. These were debilitating. I couldn't even walk!

Very frustrating to go through all of that to have it be something so simple. So I'm supposed to be on bed rest for 2 days. When I woke up this morning it was like nothing had ever happened. No pain, nothing. WEIRD. But at least it was all good news about the baby.

Now when the bill comes, that's another story....

9 comments:

Jodee Luke said...

scary! I heard that you were "not feeling well" and I was about to e-mail you. glad everything is okay.

Lara said...

Ligament pain can take your breath away. When you get bigger (if you ever do, sheesh, you teeny person!) be careful when you roll out of bed in the morning. THAT'S when it struck me the worst. When you go one way and your belly goes another...OUCH.

I just hope you don't get Sciatic Nerve Pain. That one truly sucks.

Glad you're OK! I've suffered through Mean Ultrasound Tech Lady myself. But sometimes you'll get some really personable ones...

We are 3. said...

Oh Karen! I'm so glad everything is okay-- take care of yourself missy!

AnnP said...

Oh, I am so sorry. I had that too. It really is horrible. I am glad that it was nothing serious, though, just very uncomfortable.

Ashley C. said...

I am so glad that you are okay. That is scary. You take care of you and that little baby and all of those ligaments.

Maria said...

I am so glad you and the baby are okay! Super scarey.

Dave said...

Wait wait wait... you WORK in a hospital as a nurse... so you WAIT til you leave said location of health administration to get home to have someone take you to the ER (which I assume is located in a hospital).

Oh.

Ok.

Silvs said...

Yeah...what that guy said.

Well, I guess at least you don't work in a part of the hospital where they even deal with people who are/were pregnant anyway, right? So it's not like it's that weird that you could even pop over and just ask someone what the problem might be. Especially considering how much pain you were experiencing. Right?

Jennifer Gilmore said...

when I was reading this - I thought you were going to say it was your appendix. Trust me - getting that removed while you are prego - SUCKS! Glad it was a ligament pain instead. :)