Thursday, February 19, 2009

Artsy Fartsy

The Milwaukee Art Museum is free to Milwaukee County residents on Wednesday so yesterday my friend Deann went with our kidlets in tow. I had been wanting to go every since we've moved here. The building itself, the "Calatrava" is really interesting looking.

Anyway, I do love looking at paintings and photographs, but I honestly have no idea about any of it. I don't know if I'm the only one who does this, but when I go to art museums I generally look at all the pieces and look for names I recognize. Which aren't many. I wish I had taken an art history course, because I feel like a complete dunce when it comes to art. I like what I like, which is mostly contemporary and modernish types of art. Clean lines, bold colors, abstracts.

Here are a few of my favorite pieces (I don't have all the info on all of them...my bad):

This is actually a close up of a really long painting.


Pablo Picasso: Bouquet


Vassily Kandinsky: Fragment I for Composition VII
Kandinsky is one of my favorites--so bright and colorful.


I don't know who did this, but it struck me as funny for some reason. Maybe it's the cartoony faces. Maybe it's the random tennis racket.

Claude Monet: Waterloo Bridge, Sunlight Effect

Roy Lichtenstein: Crying Girl
I dig pop art too.


Loved this, of course. I tried to find who did it online but couldn't.


I'll definitely be going back and checking out new collections as they come. Can't beat free!


4 comments:

Silvs said...

Love Lichtenstein. Are those last two your pictures? because they're kind of amazing. Seriously. The lines in both, but especially the second, and the little girl. Very cool.

DeAnn said...

It was fun. Sorry my kids were a little crazy.

Dave said...

Someone rubbed some poopie on that first painting.

Nikki said...

I just read through your weeks worth of blogging..I haven't kept up like i should...just wanted to say that you make me laugh so hard. I love your writing. That's all :)