Thursday, December 03, 2009

Spelling Lesson #2

We all remember Spelling Lesson #1, right? I definitely do.

Well, lately I have seen another word frequently misspelled, and I feel we should go over it.

The word/s is/are PEEK/PEAK.

If you wanted to peak at your presents, well, maybe that’s your thing, but I’m thinking you’d rather PEEK.

PEEK can be used two ways, as a verb and as a noun.

As a verb: to look or glance quickly, especially through a small opening or from a concealed location.

As a noun: a quick or furtive look or glance.

Either way, both involve LOOKING at something.

PEAK can be used in many ways.

As a noun: usually the top of something, whether a mountain, a salary, price, etc.

As a verb: to attain a peak in activity, development, popularity, etc.

Peak means high. Peek means look.

You can say “I peeked at the peak” and you can also say “I peaked at the peak”, but that’s kind of naughty. You cannot say “I peeked at the peek”.

These words are homonymns, meaning they sound the same but are spelled differently. Just like your/you’re/, their/there/they’re, its/it’s, etc. But don’t you worry, we’ll save those doozies for later.

Even if you are a genius and have a Mensa IQ, if you misspell words, especially on your blog and on Facebook, you come off as less than intelligent. Maybe that’s just me, but I’m a spelling nazi.

6 comments:

DeAnn said...

Next post: lose/loose. That one drives me nuts!! You don't loose your keys. C'mon people.

Emmy said...

I don't know if I dare comment as it wouldn't surprise me if I have messed that one up in the past... but you gave a very good lesson so never again!

Lara said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! That is something we have in common. I roll my eyes at spelling errors, as well.

Just remember, sometimes people are typing fast. They're bound to make misteaks.

;-)

J.R.G. said...

I definately remember your first lesson. It helped me learn real good.

Courtney said...

Sorry, I think these "lessons" are annoying but I am glad you are an awesome speller. Who really cares? Since I am probably known to have frequent mispellings and I don't want to piss you off, in my defense I usually have typos since the only time I use the computer is when I am pumping (which I am currently doing).

Kathy said...

I'm a little piqued about your post.