Thursday, October 11, 2012

The pumpkin farm and my surprisingly fearless children

We joined the Milwaukee Children’s Tour Club this fall and have been loving it. It’s a group of 50 families that go on tours of places around Milwaukee. It’s great because they schedule each tour 4 times…like 10 and 1 on both Tuesday and Wednesday, so there’s pretty much always a time you can make it. So far we have been to a model train company, Miller Park, the Milwaukee Planetarium, and Glacier Rock Pumpkin Farm. It gives us something to do almost every week and a chance to meet other moms (and dads sometimes).

This week we went to the pumpkin farm. I wasn’t sure how the girls were going to react to all the animals, and if I weren’t there to witness it firsthand I would not have believed it myself. Summer, the same girl who freaks out when she sees a dog within a mile vicinity, the girl clung to me at the zoo as we fed the goats, the girl who panics when there is a fly buzzing around the kitchen, is the very same girl who RODE A PONY, who MILKED A COW, who PET SMALL ANIMALS!! Seriously, folks, I thought were were years away from this breakthrough. She hopped right up on the pony and was all smiles the whole time. She fearlessly grabbed that udder and milked it. She voluntarily reached into the pig pen and stroked the Vietnamese Potbellied pig. Whose kid is this??? Surely not mine! Hannah loved it all, but she’s always been a little braver than her big sister in matters of animalia.

It was a windy, chilly day, and my body definitely paid the price that night for pulling the wagon around the hilly farm, but we all had a great time and left with lots of exciting stories to tell. We got to pet kittens, bunnies, hedgehogs, and chinchillas (soooo soft!) We chased and caught chickens, saw emus, llamas, goats, pigs, horses, cows, peafowl, and a giant turkey named Doug. We even got to go on a hayride and pick out a pumpkin to take home. A lovely little field trip to the middle of nowhere. October 201210 October 20127 October 20128 October 20129 zDSC_0089

1 comment:

vanessa said...

I went there with Avery's 4K class a couple years ago and it was awesome. I loved how good they were with the kids and there really was a lot to do! I was 7 months preggo when we went so I know what you mean about the hills and such- I had to sit down to restas couple times, but it was also a super hot day that day. I also had to sit out the hayride because they were worried I was going to go into labor!