Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering 9/11

So I was really dreading today, being the five year anniversary since 9/11. During the ride to school all the radio stations were talking about it and people were calling in saying where they were when they found out about it. It got me to thinking about where I was. I was at BYU, sleeping, when my friend James called and told me to turn on the tv. It was like 7:00 am and I was half asleep. I couldn't believe what I saw. It was even more unbelievable as I watched the second plane, and then watched them fall. I watched TV with my roommates until we had to leave for class or work or wherever we were going. I remember there being huge screens with CNN on in the Wilk, broadcasting the events. Everyone seemed numb, and no one knew exactly what to say. So while I was listening to people recount their memories, I was reliving mine, and of course crying as I'm driving to school. Luckily, classes proved to be a great distraction, and 9/11 was barely mentioned in any of my classes. In fact, I almost forgot about the whole thing until I was driving home. Monday Night Football had a tribute to it, to which I promptly welled up. I have so much love and respect for all of those that serve our country. Military, police, firefighters, etc.

Today my thoughts are with those that lost friends, family members, neighbors, and co-workers five years ago today. They will never be forgotten--they have brought our country together in a great spirit of patriotism.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karen, you're a blogging maniac and I love it.