Monday, October 22, 2007

For Lara

When my mom makes these, I don't think she measures anything. But she wrote out the recipe she uses, so it should be pretty accurate. I wish I could say I am as pro at making them as she is, but I can't. It was one of my goals for this summer that escaped. The trickiest part, in my opinion, is making the balls. They're not like regular cookie balls, they're different. I can't figure out how to explain it, either. She sorta puts the dough in between her hands, thumbs on top that smooth out the dough, and rotates it while using the bottom fingers to push the dough into the center of the ball underneath. Capish? Clear as mud, I'm sure. Anyway, hers are perfectly round, and she rolls out perfectly round tortillas. Mind are lopsided. With time, grasshopper, with time.

Flour Tortillas

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 oz (¼ cup) lard
7-8 oz. warm water

Preheat skillet or griddle. Mix dry ingredients. Add lard and cut in until blended. Make well in flour and add warm water until it makes a soft dough. Knead about 4 minutes until smooth and pliable. Add more flour if sticky. Let rest about 10-30 minutes. Make into 2” balls and roll out. Cook on medium hot skillet or griddle about 1 minute each side. Makes approximately 18-20 6-inch tortillas.

1 comment:

Lara said...

You (and your mom) are the BOMB!!! I am going to try these immediately! Woo hoo!

Thank you!