Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My arm is sore....

...from patting myself on the back. Seriously, I'm so impressed with myself.

About a month ago I was vacuuming out our cars when all of a suddenly it started making this weird high pitched noise. I had no idea what was wrong. So, I put it in the closet and hoped a little time out would help it heal. Well, I pulled it out last night to see if it was working (I mean, it had been a month...our poor carpet was in desperate need of a pick-me-up) and the noise was still there. I changed the bag. Still there. I turned it upside down and turned it on and noticed the brush roller wasn't turning. Hmmm....I unscrewed the bottom and popped off the plate and voila! The belt was snapped! After a little online research, I found out these belts were mere pennies. So today I stopped by the vacuum repair shop and picked up a new belt and replaced it. All by myself. And then I vacuumed. And it worked! I know, it's practically nothing, but I'm very proud of myself. Screw you, repair shops! I saved myself $7.50, which is about a Large Mac n Cheese from Noodles, so it was worth it!

I attribute my fix-it skillz to my dad, the original Mr. Fix-it himself. We never hired a mechanic or plumber or electrician or anything growing up. He did it all. While I can't do all those things, I can hold my own. I'm the one now who puts stuff together (I actually love doing it) and I'm the one (mostly) who fixes stuff. My pops would be so proud!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

That is VERY impressive Karen! I would have just bought a new vacuum.

jularun7 said...

atta girl! i had a dad like that too. they rock.

Jessica said...

I'm so impressed. I love that feeling you get when you know you can take care of it all!

Lara said...

You are so JANE, congrats!

Wait till you caulk your very own sink...the elation will last DAYS!

;-)

Nikki said...

Funny! We did the exact same thing the other weekend. Spencer had a much harder time though...yay for fix it yourself experiences!