Sunday, August 09, 2009

Disappointment squared

I have been waiting for today for it seems like forever. Today was the day we were going to the fair! We had our whole day planned out: what to see first, what to eat when, etc.

We wake up early this morning and.....pouring rain. I check the doppler and not only is there a blanket of green over the whole city, it morphs into orange and red as the morning progresses.

I was heartbroken. It's like being a little kid who is waiting for Christmas morning, only to be told Christmas morning that he has to wait another week. Torture.

We decide to go another day. Tuesday. Derrick will take a half day and we'll go. Not our ideal plan, but oh well.

The only upside to this situation is we get to go back to bed.

Later, I go out to water my plants, (which are producing red cherry tomatoes now!) and I find that my basil plant in the HEAVY CERAMIC POT has been blown off our 2nd story balcony and onto the ground below. Not onto the wet soggy ground, but onto the only 1x1 cement slab on probably the whole property. I can see shards of my beautiful planter tragically lying about. The big bushy basil plant that I was days away from harvesting and making pesto plummeted to its death. Hello store-bought pesto.

How the super-light plastic pot with the eensy plant we got at church for Mother's Day survived is beyond me.

After a good nap and a Chipotle burrito all was right again in the world. Forecast looks good for Tuesday. Let's hope it stays that way.

3 comments:

Emmy said...

Sorry :( Rain rain go away, that really needed to be said for you that day.

DeAnn said...

What a sad day. I'm glad your anniversary was a better day.

Yours, Mine, &, Crazy Daisy said...

Please accept my deepest sympathies on the loss of your dear basil.