Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Boy bands forever

When I was 9, I was obsessed with New Kids on The Block, or NKOTB if you will. I was living in Puerto Rico, and it was the age when you could buy jumbo sized buttons with their picture at the local KB Toys. You know what I’m talking about. nkotb buttonAnd yes, I had that button. And yes, I know Jon was ugly. And yes, I know he’s gay now. When you’re in a boy band, odds are it’s gonna happen to at least one of them, right?

Anyway, as far as I know, they never made it to Puerto Rico for a concert, and I doubt my parents would have taken me anyway. The closest I got was a concert that aired on the Disney Channel, which back then was a paid premium channel…remember that? Well, we had it, and thank goodness for that, because I had all my little girlfriends over (and one boy…) to watch that concert. And it was the greatest concert my 9 year old self had ever seen. And I hadn’t seen any.

Fast forward 21 years. They go on tour. They come to Milwaukee. I don’t go. Severely bummed about it.

Fast forward 2 years. They go on tour. They come to Summerfest. I go and relive my childhood and it’s every bit as amazing as I hoped it would be.

Even better? They played with Boyz II Men and 98 Degrees!!

Still better: I meet Drew Lachey at the children’s museum earlier that day!!!!!! aIMG_6599I was walking towards the little kid area and saw him walking towards me and I knew instantly it was Nick Lachey’s brother, but I couldn’t remember his name.I asked him if we could take a picture and luckily my friend was sitting right there and took a picture for us. I asked him if he was in town for the show (duh) and that I’d see him later tonite! He was super nice and nobody else even recognized him!

The concert was amazing. Boyz II Men were so good. They sounded just like they did in the 90’s. They are all such great vocalists. They played all the big hits, 6 songs or so. 98 Degrees were actually awesome, and I knew almost all the songs! I was surprised! Nick Lachey is still super hot and can sing like nobody’s business. When I got home I dug out my old CD and popped it in the car. Ahhh, the good old days. aIMG_6682

NKOTB played last. They were definitely entertaining, but by far the least talented. Donnie was the leader who kept pumping up the crowd and showing off his abs. They were impressive, to say the least. :) Still, they played all the great songs I loved when I was a kid. It was so awesome. I was in heaven. My date was probably not as excited as I was, but he still had a good time.    IMG_6680I love that my hubby will indulge in my musical escapades! Boy Bands Forever!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You got it The right stuff!! I still can sing along 20+ years later...

Boys II men makes me think about a 6th grade dance and the first time I slow danced with a boy and felt his hard on in my crotch...nice