Tuesday, May 22, 2007

BEWARE: LONG POST AHEAD

It has come to my attention that I have not blogged recently. Apparently I have more readers than I thought! Who would have thought people are interested in the mundane details of my life? They are probably like me, and just nosey for any information about other people. I will be the first to admit I am super nosey. Derrick will be the second to tell you. I poke in people's cabinets and cupboards. I like to know what's going on. I ask about people's lives. I hope I don't offend anyone. I never mind when people ask me things, even personal things. I just figure if I ask someone a question they don't want to answer they'll tell me so, or I'll pick up on it and switch subjects. So anyway, if you feel I'm being nosy, just tell me!

Let's see....where to start...

School: Is now officially over. Hooray! All grades posted. 3 A's. 4.0 baby. Tuesday after our last final we went out for Lindsey's birthday and then met up with the rest of the nursing school crew at Brother's downtown. Crazy drunk nurses. It's quite hilarious to watch, really. I became best friends with people I hadn't talked to all semester. A random guy bought me a tequila shot, which I graciously passed to my friend. My friend dropped his drink on my foot which filled my shoe with beer. Here are some random shots:









Good times.

Next item of business: Our trip to Texas. Tons 'o' fun. All we did is eat. I think our bodies were punishing us b/c Monday Derrick was sick all day, and I got sick in the middle of the night. Did you know Pepto Bismul makes your poop black? Interesting...Thursday we went to San Antonio and went to the marketplace where I got a tortilla warmer and a flat cast iron skillet for making tortillas. It's my goal this summer to really learn how to make tortillas...hopefully as good as my mom makes them. It's really quite shameful that I can't make them like a proper Mexican should. Everyone is always surprised to learn that I'm half Mexican...but the people in the following pictures are all my relatives. Direcr aunts and uncles and grandparents and cousins. And then there's me...the white girl. Ha. Anyway, I love San Antonio. There's this incredible restaurant that we always used to eat at called Mi Tierra, and they have this amazing bakery with Mexican pastries. I got a candied sweet potato which was soooo yummy, and pink coconut cakes and peach pastries. Oh so good. Then we went down to the Riverwalk. We took the river cruise tour, which was really fun too. And of course, we went to the Alamo. Remember the Alamo! That was pretty neat, too. I looked for the basement, but I couldn't find it. Or PeeWee. :)







Yes, that is bird CACA on my shirt.






After we got back from San Antonio, we picked up the grandparents and headed out to the Bingo hall. They loooove their Bingo. And so do I. We didn't win anything, but it was still fun.



Not sure I'm diggin how see-thru this shirt is.


Friday I showed Derrick around San Marcos, where I was born (and where we were staying) which took about 5 minutes. Then we went to Kohl's the next town over (of course) and then we went to the Outlet Malls. Friday night all of my family came over and we had a huge barbecue. My uncle Bobby made these delicious fajitas, as well as chicken and sausage. I made guac and deviled eggs and we had mexican rice tons of other food. It was soooo good.

My aunts and uncles:


My cousins:


My cousins' kids (my 2nd cousins??):


My grandparents:


Saturday we floated down the San Marcos River, which is really pretty and home to a lot of endangered species. You rent a tube from the Lion's Club and then they shuttle you back to your car. Pretty sweet.



After that, we went to Lockhart, a few miles away, which has the BEST barbecue place, ever. Kruez's. Seriously, I've never had meat as good as they have there. And Big Red to wash it all down. It's one of my most favoritest places to eat. Speaking of places to eat, we did hit up the Jack in the Crack once, and Sonic twice. Yum.

Look at all that greasy meat. Mmmmmm....


Big Red!


Wildflowers on the side of the road.


Then it was off to Austin. We took a tour of the Capitol Building, which was pretty cool, and then walked around UT for awhile. Texans are proud to be Texans, which you can tell by some of these pictures. And everything's bigger. The Texas Capitol's dome is taller than any other...even DC.







Saturday night we just hung out and watched a movie. The Departed. I had heard amazing things about this movie, so I was excited to see it. It was good, but dang! So many shootings in the head! I felt like I needed to watch a happy movie afterwards, like Finding Nemo, to make me feel better. Crazy Oscar movies.

Then we left on Sunday. So sad. The weather was perfect, the food was great, it was a lot of fun to see my family and have Derrick meet them all. Of course, they all loved him b/c he can speak fluent Spanish. I really need to learn....

Next up: American Idol

I voted for Blake for a full 45 minutes tonite. He didn't do so great on the last song, but who cares. He's a pimp, and I love him. He'll sell records and do great no matter what. I never was a huge Jordin fan, but I know she'll win. Freak man, she gets the black AND the white vote!

Well, there is much more to blog about, but I'm sure this is long enough for one. IF you've made it this far, you are to be applauded, and maybe somewhat ashamed of yourself. My husband complains I don't see him enough (although I see him sleep plently on the sofa from 7-11 pm every night....) so I should go to bed and keep him company. Ew, not like that. Stop it.

4 comments:

amy said...

i made it through your blog. you're funny...a good read first thing in the morning.

josieposie said...

arl- what are you doing awake at 6:44am, let alone on the computer, reading and commenting on blogs? go back to bed! karen - i miss the days of having non-lds or even jack-lds friends for that matter to have the occasional bar night with. good luck finding any of those when you start having kids!

amy said...

my son was awake!

i go to bars to watch bands/gigs. drunk people are amusing.

Samantha said...

You said "ew" about going to bed with your husband! Hi-larious.