Thursday, March 27, 2008

Pop! Goes my heart!

If you know what the title is from, we are truly meant to be friends.

I worked three in a row this week, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Today I am exhausted, and sick on top of that. Coincidence? Maybe. I dunno. But one of the good parts about working a lot of shifts close to each other is that I get to keep a lot of the same patients, and get to build up a rapport with them. It's always a good feeling when I walk in there the second night and their face lights up and they tell me they're glad I'm their nurse again. (Could that sentence be a better example of the use of their/there/they're? I don't think so. Read and learn, baby.) I had a lot of Spanish speaking patients this week, too, which is always a learning experience. This morning as I made my rounds to say goodbye to everyone, I stopped in one of my Spanish speaking patient's room, and we started chatting about her kids and how long I've been married and all sorts of stuff. In Spanish. Yes, I had a full on conversation with her in Spanish, and it was awesome. She then expressed her gratitude to me, and gave me a huge hug, and was calling me mija, which I love, b/c that's my mom and aunts and uncles and grandparents on her side used to call me, and for some reason I always felt so loved when I was called that. WARNING: CHEESE ALERT AHEAD. And as I walked out of her room, I felt my heart begin to swell (probably the first time I've ever said that, except in singing Come, Come Ye Saints, whose last verse unfailingly makes me cry), and the mental image of "the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day" popped into my head. And that's exactly how I felt. And I even went through all the trouble to screen print pictures from YouTube videos so you can fully understand how I felt.




It was all I could do not to cry right there in the hall. I've been feeling quite emotional lately. And thoughtful. And pensive. (Movie, anyone?) Maybe it's sleep deprivation? In any case, I love my job, and I love the feeling I get from helping other people. Their simple "thank you" is enough for me.

I had a flower garden of babies this week. No joke, I had an Azalea, Lily, and Daisy. Oh, and a Sobriety. Born to a mom who used crack and pot and alcohol. So sad.

I'm off until Monday, so I'm bringing Donkey back!

1 comment:

josieposie said...

Music & Lyrics. Sobriety - please tell me that's a joke. So unfair.